Tuesday 9 February 2016

Bad Things Happen (October 2015)


I find posts like this very tricky indeed because the last thing I want to do is to scare people and make them think twice even for a second about travelling places. All places in the world have their own inherent risks whether it be from terrorism or crime or disease and there are things that are just out of your hands. This story is a case when you get caught out.

I have been travelling for quite some time now (I started my first travels in around 2002) and so far have been incredibly lucky in terms of crime and pickpocketing. I've avoided taking my attention away from my belongings when people put their hands on my on the metro in Istanbul, ran a mile when women try to sell you flowers in Madrid (my friend didn't and got robbed!).  I have always aired on the side of caution and used my gut instinct to avoid certain situations and places. When drinking of eating alone I pay special attention to my surroundings and always remove vital items from my pockets and wallets. I have even gone so far as to take out the memory cards from my camera in order to keep them safe when walking through places that seem a little dodgy.

So. It was my second trip to Mexico City, we arrived in the morning at around 7-8am and I was so excited to be back. A little tired and worn out as the bus journey went overnight and we left Zapopan bus station at midnight. We arrived in the station and I was just so happy to finally be showing Alex his capital city and as we walked through the station rejecting the offers of taxi drivers we walked towards the metro with my backpack and everything.

Normally I am quite astute to my surroundings and like to move my belongings around my person – add parts of the money in different compartments and also keep my bank cards and ID in different places. But not today! Oh no!

I got carried away and it was only when I was crushed between my backpack the wall of the carriage of the train and around 7 people that I realized that everything was in the same wallet in my front pocket of my jeans. I knew at this point that I was going to be robbed. There were two women in front of me that were very very close to me but that is not that unusual as Mexicans generally don't have the same ideas on personal space and being close to people. But I really had this strong feeling that something really wasn't right. And I was in a situation that I couldn't get out of.  NO!  

As it came to get out of the stop you usually have to push and shove just to get off and this is where it works to the advantage of others. As I was trying to get off the metro car, someone stood in my way, again not particularly that unusual. Temporarily, for a few seconds but long enough. As they eventually moved out the way it was so much easier to move off onto the platform.

After about two seconds I knew something was missing. They had grabbed my wallet. Two seconds later as the train moved off I knew that someone there had my wallet with them. Stupidly it had a decent amount of money in it, my ID, my bank cards.  My jeans were not loose, the wallet was not in my back pocket.  I am very surprised that I didn't feel anything!  They really are professionals.  But an absolute nightmare for me.

The thieves then used my bank card in around 7 convenience stores and stole half of my savings. I managed to get some of the money bank from my bank about 6 months later but it was an uphill struggle for sure and heaps of Mexican bureaucracy (oh the joy!  - You just need this form - brings form - Oh no you need B, C and D! hahahah!  I got there.  Eventually.  

Although you feel that it won't happen to you.  It really could.  But when I think about this event now I feel better.  Has it made me feel more scared to travel?  Not really.  In a way it is a kind of relief.  That sounds a little strange but for so long I have been so afraid to be robbed and be left in a tricky situation but it really wasn't as bad as you think it could be.  You can replace most stuff.  It also is a wake up call to arrange your stuff properly and think of how you can minimize risk when travelling in the future.  

Will I travel on the metro again?  Yes, for sure.  I will be going back to Mexico City next month.  I will avoid travel with my backpack at rush hour - I think that is sensible.  But paranoia to the extreme is a horrible way to live.  We travelled on the metro many times throughout the rest of the weekend in Mexico City and all was good.  

This is definitely not here to attack Mexico City - Travel on its crazy, overcrowded metro is fascinating, frustrating, exciting and incredibly insightful to the very heart and soul of this fantastic country I am lucky to live in.   In fact I still had some of my best moments in Mexico within this place and the weekend when this event happened I saw so many new parts of the city I had never seen (including the incredible Xochimilco which I will add a post on soon for sure!)

No comments:

Post a Comment